Monday, November 24, 2014

Music Mondays: Nicole Addition

For todays Music Monday we have the return of Nicole. After leaving DSP earlier this year, Nicole has made her triumphant return as a solo artist. Usually, I would review the whole album/mini album, but I didn't find the rest of the album particular amazing. But I did like the 7-2=Misunderstandings feat. Dongwoon of Infinite. Instead I'm just gonna review the title track and MV.




Anyway, Nicole's solo debut single is called MAMA (not to be confused with Exo's shooting anonymous) and tells the story of a first love. 
The song definitely has a jazz feel. Very subtle, and I found myself waiting for the beat to drop, or some impressive high note, you know what I mean. On first listen I flt it was missing something, and that I was waiting for something. I walked away feeling unsatisfied. For a while I thought this wasn't a very good single for Nicole and was slightly disappointed with Sweettune. But as the day progressed I found myself humming the tune and I couldn't stop thinking about this song. You know that part that's like ah-ah-ah-ah and the oh-oh-oh-oh I kept humming that over and over so I went back to watch the MV again and slowly started falling for the song. There's something about Nicole's voice that's so familiar and soft. She's not a great singer, but the song really fit her range. Now I really the song doesn't need any powerful vocals so that's why it works so well for Nicole. I was never a big fan of Kara, but I always loved Nicole, she's so endearing. I've always loved her passion and spirit and I can tell she's really trying her hardest. I wish nothing but the best towards her future career. 

Now as for the MV, I loved it right from the start. While all those other girls (cough cough AOA) are going for that straight out sexy concept, the music video had such subtlety that I kept wondering to myself if this was even sexual or not. The set was an eerie backdrop which gave the song subtlety as well. Paired with the lighting, the dance segments were either silhouetted or upfront. I loved all the transitions. Loved the dancing, especially the segment where they're silhouetted and the piano is highlighted. So beautiful. I really enjoyed the subtlety of the MV. There was probably some symbolism throughout the MV, but I just threw that thought out the window and enjoyed the video. I wish more girl groups made MV like this rather than just having a camera close in on their butt (cough cough Girl's Day Darling)...












No comments:

Post a Comment