Monday, November 3, 2014

Music Mondays: MC Mong - Miss Me or Diss Me

Welcoming back, MC Mong. It's only right he gets this weeks MM shout out.
After roughly five years away from the industry, he comes back under a new agency, Dream T (same as Girl's Day) with his 6th Album: Miss Me or Diss Me.
I would like to say I missed him and his music. I have been waiting five years for this return. I'm extremely happy for him.

Miss Me or Diss Me

내가 그리웠니 (Miss Me Or Diss Me) (ft. Jin Sil of Mad Soul Child)
His promotion song starts off with the all important saying 'did you miss me or did you diss me?' I missed you, just for the record. Besides the gorgeous and obvious symbolism of the MV, the song lyrics also reflect on MC Mong's past reflection years. Just as stylish as the old Mong songs, I was pleastly surprised with the song. The husky voice of Jin Sil, although at first put me off, really does compliment the song and grew on me after first listen. 



내 생애 가장 행복한 시간 (Happiest Time in My Life) (ft. Huh Gak)
I have always enjoyed me some Huh Gak, this is no exception. No offense, but I think Huh Gak makes this song, I kind of just seek his voice out in this song. I think his voice was stronger and highlighted more than MC Mong's. So I like this song for Huh Gak if anything. 



마음 단단히 먹어 (ft. Ailee)
This song starts off with a conversation feel which translates through the rest of the rap parts. MC Mong has more of a husky soft voice which I like. When Ailee starts in, the song builds up into a lighter tone. It feels a little like a little roller coaster bobbing up and down. I just want to start swaying. Overall this song feels much more relaxing and airy. 


New York (ft. Baek Ji Young)
MC Mong literally recruited all of the best solo artists. This song is obviously more upbeat, I mean until you come to Baek Ji Young's part. Is it just me or does this not sound like she usually does... This is not a song I was very impressed with, or liked very much. 



도망가자 (Let's Run Away) (ft. Lyn)
Again, I think Lyn really made this song special. Seriously love Lyn's voice. By the 1:30 mark, love that part. MC Mong's huskier voice. The rest of the song for him is in his usual style which fits with the beat of this song. 


고장난 선풍기 (Faulty Fan) (ft. Gary of Leessang, Hyoryn of Sistar)
MC Mong and Gary really mix well together. MC Mong almost reminds me of Gil in this song. I wonder what it would sound like if he was on this album too...? Hyorin adds her heavenly voice to the track (seriously her husky voice is replaced with a high airy voice like Ga-In's) tying together the song in a beautiful track. This might be one of favorites off the album. 


What Could I Do (ft. Bumkey)
This song has a slight reggae feel to me, just the way the beat falls. Like a modern reggae fell. Not my favorite, but it has a certain style which I am sure would appeal to others. Plus the catchy one English liner, 'what could I do.'



격정적인 열애설 (ft. The Channels)
This on starts with a jazz feel. Again, not my favorite, but it has a nice beat which I am sure will appeal to others. 



0904
This one might be might a reminiscent one.The beginning, wont give it away, is a little throwback as is the title. Ah memories. Lovely piano melody, and a little girl's voice... seriously reminiscent.


죽을만큼 아파서 (Sick To Death) Part 2 (Feat. Sweden Laundry (스웨덴세탁소)

I would say this is another reminiscent one. Look at the one above. (You'll get it)

Whatever (ft. Minah of Girl's Day)
I thought this would be a little controversial song due to the things the issues this bring up (I mean the Minah related stuff...). But the chorus is really playful, cute, and catchy. It's a cuter song fitting more with Minah's image. I've never really thought of Minah as ever going solo or feat. in songs... still don't... But this song is still interesting and nice. 



My Love (ft. Sung Yoo Jin)
This one takes a much more slower ballad feel. I feel MC Mong's voice is much smoother in this song along with the soft voice of Sung Yoo Jin makes this song much lighter compared to the other songs. It has like two different tempos, a slower soft one and a faster yet calm one. if that makes sense...



E.R (ft. The Channels)
E.R: who's getting the DMTN feels? Funny how MC Mong also started as their mentor but was then enraptured in military drafting scandal and then DMTN's Daniel got into drug scandals... Oh Korea... Still, basically this is like a remake of DMTN's E.R that's why it may sound familiar to some. I think I'll always like the DMTN ver. best, however this is a nice take on a remake. 

Favorite tracks: Miss Me or Diss Me, 마음 단단히 먹어, 도망가자, 고장난 선풍기 (Faulty Fan), E.R


















No comments:

Post a Comment